Monday, January 09, 2012

If you see me collapse, please pause my Garmin


Right now my parents are on their way home from Orlando and I'm in my hotel contemplating the weekend.  We were all at the Walt Disney World resort, where we had a running festival of sorts.  My mom  ran her first 5k ever on Friday morning (in a respectable time, I might add).  My dad and the Witch each ran their first half marathon on Saturday (again, respectable times).  I ran the half marathon Saturday with the Witch (and will admit to pushing her pretty hard) and the full marathon today.

I don't know that we reached every goal we had set for these races - I always set three goals for every marathon, and I only got one of them this time - but the weekend was a rousing success.  I'm particularly proud of my parents.  My dad couldn't run a mile four months ago; now he's completed a significant race.  Cliche though it may be, I think it goes to show you that you're really only as old as you feel and act; Dad beat scores of people in their twenties, and in every race I run I'm beat by somebody older than he is.

That's not to say that I'm not proud of the Witch; she's run this kind of distance before, albeit not in a race, so I pushed her pretty hard (without telling her).  She learned a lot about racing and pacing, and she rose to the challenge of the last few miles admirably.

As for me - I'm going to be sore for a few days.  And that's about it.

2 comments:

MT Missy said...

You all have my respect.

Deanna said...

That is awesome. What a great family affair!