Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Unintentional Testing

I'm finding this move to be much different from our last. When we moved to New Jersey, everybody at church knew our story. This time around, only a few people know, so most people are unprepared with a response. Many are shocked and awed. Some can't say anything. Some respond with horror. Some blessedly just respond with an oh, huh, that's interesting way and then they ask more questions to try to get to know our family.

At first, my tendency was to dodge the whole subject, but then, I decided that I couldn't do it anymore. I'm not ashamed that I lived through the death of my daughter. I experienced these things for a reason, and I will share our story, and I will bear my testimony of how the Lord will support his people. I will acknowledge that death is real. And I won't let others around me pretend that it's not.

I don't mean to test people before we even get to know each other, but if you ask me if I just have two children, there's no way you're not hearing about Stacy. No way.

8 comments:

MT Missy said...

You're absolutely right. Stacy will always be apart of your family, and when anyone asks me about me sisters and how many children they have I ALWAYS tell them you have three.

Unknown said...

Yup! And I have 6 nieces and nephews! You are a strong lady Silly Witch!

Jess said...

I always think of you as having three. That's a difficult subject to broach with strangers, and I applaud your courage, though it doesn't surprise me.

PS. September 30 on my calendar is marked "We heart Stacy" day.

tenacious d said...

SW, you are completely right in telling people your story and taking the opportunity to testify of the things you know are true. You are courageous, and you will inspire others to be courageous too. Love you!!!

Jaime said...

I agree with Jess, I think of your as having three kids. That's all there is to it and how it will always be.

eryka said...

You wouldn't be strong, loving, always there for you Maren without Stacy or your other two cute kids. I'm so glad I know you and knew Stacy. You have both been great examples of faith to me. Thanks.

Amberly said...

I'm proud of you for not dodging the subject. I'm sure it can be awkward for some, but she's a part of you and always will be. The way you have seen having her in your life as a blessing rather than a loss is amazing and inspiring to me. Those darn Texans will come around eventually!

Unknown said...

I remember the first time someone asked how many grandchildren I had after Stacy died. I stood there with an aching heart not knowing what to say and then said "four" (number at that time including Stacy). I wasn't prepared for that question. Then I realized I could never exclude Stacy from the number of granchildren. That just wouldn't make a lick of sense. If someone asked me how many parents I had, would I say none because they have both died? Ridiculous! My family in comprised of people on both sides of the veil. And they are all MINE.