Friday, October 03, 2008

A chip off the ol' block!

The Warlock here, with a word or two about profanity.  Those of you who have known me for a long time will no doubt recall that I developed, as any kid from the country would, a very skilled use of various verbal weaponry as a kid.  Why, I mind the time when I was milking the cow and she kicked the bucket of milk over my head, and then when I stepped behind her, I turned around to see her tail start to lift, and...

Okay, mabye that's not really a story appropriate for a family blog.  But the point of the story is that I know my way around Farmboy French.  Now that I'm a bit older and more mature, of course, I try really hard not to curse that much.  Except for the biblical words, which I sprinkle about my language to season it up, sort of like salt on a tasty steak.  Or sometimes more like the steak itself, I guess, when the mood strikes.  

I bring this up because Bardo, skillful linguist though he is, still has a bit of trouble pronouncing the odd word here and there.  And, in the case of two of his favorite words (shirt and truck), the resulting phonemes have a distinctly profane flavor.

I try not to giggle.  I really do.  But the Witch's giggling renders my efforts useless.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The silly witch had a similar difficulty pronouncing truck at the same age. We first noticed the difficulty during church. Sacrament meeting to be precise. It was loud.

MT Missy said...

Still hasn't mastered those "tr" blends and 'r's', huh? Don't worry, the 'r' often doesn't develop until 7 years old in a lot of kids, as for the substitution, it'll fix itself eventually, too. In the meantime, boy does that little guy make me giggle, too!

tenacious d said...

That is hilarious! According to Rowdy, our Max had the same problem with the word "fox".

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

At least the profanity is not intentional. My nephew is the king of profanity right now. The other day he told his mom, "Mom, I don't think you are a son-of-a-b-word anymore!" She said he heard it once of of t.v. and now he uses it all the time!